How To Buy A Microwave Oven: Microwave is an essential addition to a well-equipped kitchen. Before going out to look for a microwave, we first must understand how to buy a microwave. There are so many types, features, power ranges and sizes you need to know before you can go out and buy a microwave. With our help, you shouldn’t have any problems purchasing a microwave that’s going to be efficient, stylish and effective.
How To Buy A Microwave Oven
To understand how to buy a microwave first, we need to choose with what type of microwave we want to equip our kitchen. Size and location are also something we need to take into consideration. Once we decided what type and size microwave we want, only then should we think about the power and features we want in our microwave.
Now that you understand the process on how to buy a microwave, it’s time to learn a bit more before going out and looking for one.
What type of microwave do I need?
Countertop microwave is the most common type of microwave and for a good reason. It might just be the type you’re looking to buy. To understand how it works, let’s look at the advantages of a countertop microwave:
- Countertop microwaves are usually cheap, ranging anywhere between $50 to $200.
- Countertop microwaves are the simplest type to install, unpack the box, plug them into an outlet and you have finished the installation.
- Countertop microwaves can be designed with every feature and high wattage (around 1200 watts) to no features and meager power output (about 600 watts)
- If you ever need to move, countertop microwaves can move with you.
- The only disadvantage to a countertop microwave would be its size; They take up already limited counter space.
As the name would suggest, over-the-range microwaves are installed above your range. They’re an exceptional choice for someone with minimal counter space. These models also have a vent system. Before you decide to buy an over-the-range microwave, let’s look at its specifications:
- Over-the-range microwaves are usually wider than countertop models. Still, since they are above the range, you don’t have to worry about counter space.
- Over-the-range microwaves come with a system that vents to the outside.
- They range from $200 to $500 depending mostly on their power.
- Installation of over-the-range microwaves is not so simple and you will need a professional to do it, which can be costly.
These models are either built into a wall or placed between cabinets. If you’re looking to spend a bit more, these models are a great choice. Built-in models look very stylish and high-end; They also come with excellent specifications:
- You have a lot of leeway with your budget since built-in microwaves range from $500 to $1500 and you can buy some built-in microwaves for even more.
- Built-in microwave drawers come with a bit more space.
- They do not require any counter space, which is essential to every professional kitchen.
- Built-in microwaves come with many features and their power, depending on the brand, is around 1000 watts.
It should be noted that some countertop microwaves come with a built-in kit. If you’re on a budget, but you still want to buy a built-in microwave, countertop microwaves with a kit are a perfect choice.
How to buy a good microwave?
To understand how to buy a good microwave that will serve you well for an extended period, you need to look at what features it comes with and how much power you need.
The power of a microwave is determined by wattage. If you’re looking for a microwave that cooks quickly and evenly, buy a microwave that has around 1000 watts. It’s important to keep in mind that more power comes with a higher price tag.
There are many features offered today, to buy a good microwave, we need to look at the useful features and neglect the miscellaneous features.
Something like pre-programmed settings made for cooking and defrosting the most common meals are essential. For large households that need to cook more than one meal at a time, microwaves that come with multiple racks are crucial. For families that have young children, a child lockout is a necessary feature to have.