How To Clean Shower Drain: The shower drain can be clogged due to some materials over a period of time. You always have the option to call a plumber who can solve the problem but you can save some money if you want. It can sometimes be much easier to unclog a shower drain yourself than you may think.
How To Clean Shower Drain
You can unclog a shower drain by using some fairly simple methods. You can unclog the drain and you can always take some precautionary measures to make sure it would not happen again.
We are explaining here some easy methods to open a drain keeping in mind the expense to call for the services of a plumber. These are some of the easiest and cheapest ways to unclog a shower drain then we can also look for some of the relatively expensive methods.
Using boiled water to unclog the shower drain:
- You can pour some boiling water down the drain which can be efficient to break soap or grease that could be the reason for clogging.
- You are required to boil some water using a stove and pour it down the drain.
- Now you can use a funnel to pour the water down the drain. As you would never want to spill hot water on other accessories in the washroom.
- This method can work to clear the blockage that has been built over a period of time.
- You should follow another method after this to get complete results as sometimes pouring some water can only clear the partial blockage.
You can also use a plunger to clear the drain:
- You always have the option to use a plunger to unclog the drain but it can depend on the design of the drain and also the spot where the clog is.
- If the clog is too deep you may not be able to get enough suction for effective plunging.
- You can use a plunger to clear drain but the success rate with this method can be lower but you can give it a try. Some of the instructions you should follow can be;
- Suction can depend on the seal which can be better if you use petroleum jelly.
- Submerged the plunger with water by adding water down the drain.
- Now you should try to plunge with force and look for the results. It may or may not work.
You can try to clear the drain with some home remedies like baking soda and sodium bicarbonate or Borax and lemon:
- If you want to avoid chemicals you can also use some natural solution to unclog the drain. A combination of vinegar and baking soda is known for cleaning stains from the surface of a fiberglass shower they can also work for unclogging if used with a stronger concentration.
Procedure to follow:
- You can pour some baking soda in the drain and then follow it by some vinegar down the drain
- It can dissolve some hair if the blockage is due to hair.
- You can also follow it by using a plunger if it can help or you may apply some hot water again.
You can always try to remove the clog with the hand:
- You can use this method to remove the clog. You would require some rubber gloves as you would be using your hands.
- The first thing you need to look at is to find a method to remove the drain cover for that you can use a screwdriver.
- Then you have to look for the clog and whether you can reach it with hand.
- If you can reach it with the hand you need to pull it out so that drain can work again.
- If it is far away and you are not reaching it then you may be required to use a hook to do the job.
You can use commercially available chemicals to unclog drains:
- There are some commercially available strong chemical cleaners that can be used to clean the drains.
- These chemicals can be highly corrosive to the skin so you should work with them with proper safety.
- You are required to use goggles and gloves to ensure safety from the fumes which can be produced by some of the chemicals.
How to use chemicals?
- These chemicals usually come with some instructions. You should follow those instructions and never use excessive amounts.
- Never mix chemicals as they may release poisonous gases and react to form the explosive end product.
- You can clear the clog by using chemicals carefully and pouring them down the drain.
- You should never use chemicals often as they may damage pipes.
You can always call a plumber if it is not working:
You can call a plumber if you have applied these methods and it’s not working and if you are not feeling comfortable with the chemicals. You can always call a plumber for help as the last option.
What can be the reasons for the clogging of a drain?
- A clog in the drain can be due to some reasons;
- The most common reason for clogging can be hair knots as they can be followed by soaps and mineral deposition which can form a clog.
- Dirt can build in the drain over some period of time. When you wash dishes or other pots some of the materials are also be going down the drain which can be the reason for clogging.
- Mineral build-up and soap can also one of the main reasons for the blockage of drains in the houses.
How can you prevent clogging?
- You can prevent clogging by using a drain protector that can protect hair and many other materials from going down the drain.
- You can also prevent clogging if you can prevent a lot of materials from going down the drain. It is always better to remove residue from the dishes before washing them.
You can clean your shower drain by using some natural materials and easy methods but if that doesn’t work then you may have to use some chemicals as well. It is always better to take care of the drain and you can just avoid any clogging as they say “Prevention is always better than cure.”