How To Get Hair Out Of Drain: Drains can get hair over the period of time. This is one of the most common problems that you may face in the shower. Tangled hair in drain can create a mess this can happen due to many reasons.
How To Get Hair Out Of Drain
Hair can be major cause of drain blockage but other products which you use like gels and mousses can also create mess along with hair which can cause clogging of drain.
Using chemicals to get hair out of drain:
- The use of chemicals to remove hair is not the best solution due to some reasons,
- Chemicals can damage plastic pipes if they are used continuously.
- Most of the commercially used chemicals are strong in nature which can damage skin and eyes so you would require proper precautionary measures to use them.
- Never make mistake to mix any chemicals as they can be extremely poisonous on reaction and may release harmful gases. They can react to form explosive end products.
- Instead of these chemicals you can use natural products to look for the solution.
Using Sodium bicarbonate to remove hair from drain:
- Sodium bicarbonate also known as baking soda can be used to remove hair from drain.
- Sodium bicarbonate has the ability to dissolve organic materials and it can overcome mineral deposits and soap scum.
- Sodium bicarbonate can also fight against bacteria and fungi. It can be one of the best materials to remove hair.
How to use baking soda to remove hair from the drain:
- You can unclog drain which has been blocked due to hair by using sodium bicarbonate with vinegar and hot water.
One cup of baking soda in the drain:
- You should put one cup of baking soda into the drain to remove the hair as it has the property of dissolution.
- You need to follow sodium bicarbonate with a cup of vinegar down the drain.
- You would hear hissing sound due to reaction of sodium bicarbonate and vinegar.
- When hissing sound stops then you should put a bucket of hot water down the drain.
- You may have to do this several times until clog clears.
What can you do if clog is stubborn?
If you are dealing with a challenging clog and combination of sodium carbonate and vinegar is not working for you then you can add a cup of salt in the baking soda and put it in the drain. You should let the mixture to stay in the drain for a few hours then you can put some hot water in the drain.
Advantage of using natural remedies:
- The best thing about these natural methods is that they do not have corrosive nature for the pipes and they do not pollute the environment.
- You can always use natural remedies for maintenance on regular basis.
When home remedies don’t work:
Sometimes a home remedy may not work for some clogs as clogged drains may become larger for some natural solvents to dissolve. In this case you may have to look at some of the other solutions.
You can use tweezers to unclog the drain:
- You can unscrew or lift your plughole and use tweezers to remove hair from the drain.
- Once you can open the drain then you can easily fish for any unwanted hair that may have been accumulated there.
- It may appear awkward but it can be one of the quickest and easiest ways to remove hair from the drain.
You can also use wire coat hanger:
- You can straighten your wire coat hanger and make a hook at the end if tweezers are not working.
- You can simply insert the hanger in the drain and twist and turn it to look for the clog and it may work out well for you.
You can also use hair removal cream:
- A hair removal cream can also be a good option to remove hair. It can do the same work as it does on a leg. This solution can be on the expensive side.
- You can simply empty a hair removal cream down the drain and then you an wait for sometime.
- After sometime you need to put some water in the drain.
- High water pressure can take away dissolved hair and remaining cream away.
You can also use vacuum cleaner for cleaning:
- You can use vacuum cleaner to clean drain once it is dry and open.
- You can simply attach vacuum nozzle to the top and operate it. It can open the clog by sucking materials that have been blocked in drain.
Plunger can also be used to remove hair from the drain:
- A plunger can be used to remove clog from the drain. A plunger can remove blockage due to hair, soap and mineral deposition but it can depend on the design of the drain and how deep the clog is.
- You can create a suction by moving plunger up and down and upon releasing clog can come out with it or materials can get closer to the opening which can make them easier to remove.
You can use commercial cleaning products:
- If your hair are not coming out and nothing is working then you an use chemical products as last option.
- The procedure to use a chemical cleaner is mostly explained by the manufacturer. You should never use chemicals in excess amount and proper safety measures should be taken while using chemicals as they can damage skin and eyes so you should use goggles and gloves while using them.
- Some of these chemicals can work effectively to dissolve hair in your drains thus clearing them.
You can use plughole cover for protection:
You can take preventive measures by stopping hair and other materials going down the drain in first place. Plughole cover can protect hair and other materials from going down the drain so it can be a useful investment.
You can remove hair from the drain using simple home remedies and natural materials but sometimes clog may be deep and large so you may be required to use some strong chemicals. You should deal chemicals carefully and avoid them as much as possible as they may damage pipes.